Friday, December 20, 2013

Pistachio Balls


Easy, quick dessert that is great for those holiday parties and can be a little on the “rich” side of desserty sweetness.

I had this recipe written down somewhere on a piece of paper which now is nowhere to be found. Usually I am great about keeping up with those tiny pieces of paper – I have a box of mementos and things like movie ticket stubs. It could be in a journal or small notebook that is filled with other random things like my thoughts, budget/account balances, and old work schedules when I worked in retail.

I thought about renaming the pistachio balls to Grinch Balls because they end up a light green in color but the implications and my inner censorship board nixed that idea. Maybe it is a little 4th grade juvenile humor but I try to stay away from wording that creates an unwanted double entendre.

Lesson learned: keep all recipes in a binder or index card box.
A short list of ingredients usually indicates the level of simplicity. If you have one that contradicts my theory, please let me know.












You will need:

1 – 16 oz. box of confectioner sugar/powdered sugar
1 – small box of pistachio pudding
1/3 cup of light cream (or just cream – I used light whipping cream and it turned out ok)
¼ cup of margarine (or butter – unsalted – I used softened butter. It was what I had in the fridge)

*Powder sugar, colored sugar, nuts, or sprinkles for decoration*
 

Combine the sugar and pudding into a medium to large bowl
Add the cream and butter
Knead/mix until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Shape into 1” balls and roll in chopped nuts, sprinkles, or colored sugar as desired

 
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Makes about 2 ½ dozen depending on the size of your “1 inch”.

No comments:

Post a Comment